In visiting the Middle East in 1980 we went to an early Christian church in
Syria from the 4th Century AD where there was an altar with a marble cross
and base, the latter having a couple inch edge with openings in the corners.
 The Orthodox priest told us this was a function of early Christians
practicing animal sacrifice which was abolished around that time.  It gave a
whole new meaning to "lamb of God" to me, which I know is a traditional
Easter dish.