On Aug 14, 2010, at 4:53 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> He quotes Wittgenstein, "Not how the world is, but that it is, is
> the mystery." The former is the province of science. "God" is the
> label we put on the answer (which he insists we do not know) to the
> question about the latter: "Why is there anything instead of nothing?"

Wittgenstein maintains that the task of philosophy is to show the fly
how to get out of the bottle.
The bottle is the question "Why is there anything instead of nothing?"
The way out is to answer the question posed by Mr. Clinton: It depends
on what the meaning of "is" is.

Shane Mage

  Porphyry in his Abstinance from Animal Flesh suggests that there
  are appropriate offerings to all the Gods, and to the highest the
only offering acceptable is silence.