> Accepting Engel's definition of The State as The Laws [that support the
> interests of the ruling class] and the Armed Forces that defend them, the
> class identity of the armed forces is central to the outcome of any class
> struggle.

This is well understood by people who live where putsches and coups are
familiar; and the interests of one set of financial backers backing one set of
colonels are replaced by another.  Altho we may not recognize battles to
determine which set will control the oil fields or diamond mines, or
Information Tech consumer AND/OR labor markets as class struggles, they are(as
is clear from Andrew grove's quote on a portside post just read) struggles
between social groups with different relations to the means of production that
determine  the quantity AND quality of power human masses affected by them can
exercise. How much power, how exercised, by how many?

How 'bout lobbying for, or at least modest proposaling here
that ANY American citizen be allowed to join the US Armed Forces and trained to
serve as best they can in a second Reconstruction Reparation Army.  Rather than
Eco-in-name recyclers ripping off unemployed vets who rip out copper wires in
abandoned homes where they crash, Rather than Green Prison Inc contracting for
their convict labor processing hazardous materials, after they are arrested for
burglary, why not loyal American soldiers with one thing in common -- they
can't find work -- trained to reconstruct devastated neighborhoods in the US in
order to work side by side with iraqis, afganis (isn't this what Pettreus
advocates?) reconstructing theirs?    It might even cost the taxpayers less
than the contracting out to "war reconstruction frauds" like the Louis Berger
Group that just paid $70.3 million in criminal and civil penalties for
overbilling on their reconstruction work in afganistan, Iraq, and Sudan in a
settlement that allows them to continue working on gov contracts (nyt 11/6/10 p
A 9; google war reconstruction fraud nyt for URL)