We should not forget how this discussion started-- which was about
discrimination in the military services and not the role of the army.  I
don't think there is any disagreement about the role of the army as an
institution.  I don't think that I disagree with Dan's characterization of
the army as "an enemy of the people."   Certainly, as an institution, that
is the military's role

The issue of contention was how best to "crack" the cohesiveness, the
discipline that the military must have to function in that role.

The suggestions by Peggy, IMO, are mistaken not because they are so utopian,
but rather because they're so "Proudhonian"--  that old "we want the
capital, but without the capitalists" idea.  Here "we want the military,
without the miliarists-- we want the military to play a different role, to
change its spots."

That's not going to happen, and agitating for a million recruit increase is
not going to crack that discipline.    First off, we don't advocate the
military as a way to reduce unemployment-- that's the military's line.  We
don't advocate it because that doesn't attack the class structure within the
military, separate the ranks from the officer corps.  We don't advocate it
because it's all too close to the "war is good for business, and what's good
for business is good for labor" argument.

As for the humanitarian capacity of the armed forces, I'd like to point out
the great results of the humanitarian actions of the US military in taking
logistical command of the arrival and distribution of relief supplies,
personnel, and efforts after the earthquake in Haiti-- particularly the
redirecting away from Haiti of the shipments to support the MSF doctors; the
delay in accepting the rescue teams from Iceland; the rejection of the
specially trained and organized search and rescue teams from Houston,
Texas... etc. etc. etc.

And it's my personal opinion that there are no such things as "grassroots
teabaggers."  This is not a populist movement of poor and lower middle class
working and shopkeeper types.  The teabaggers are well-to-do, materially
comfortable  and exactly the type of people who invest in corporations like
Halliburton without blinking an eye about the abuse of military contracts,
the overcharging, double-billing, etc. etc.