Andy P asked: 'By the way -- has anyone yet made the parallel to
Trotsky's publishing of the Allies' secret diplomatic treaties?'

Yes, my erstwhile ganzer macher and today's Spiked supremo Frank
Füredi, who made the comparison between Trotsky and Assange expressly
to denigrate the latter and the Wikileaks endeavour as nothing other
but egotistic posturing. Those broadcasting personal information -- as
if diplomatic cables are personal letters amongst friends and family!
-- are no better than the purveyors of voyeuristic reality telly
shows. He also claimed that Wikileaks-style operations make it hard
for professors like himself to comment fairly amongst themselves about
their students because there is no guarantee that anything can stay
confidential anymore.

This kind of stuff shows that the former Marxist internationalist
cares not one jot about the wealth of information broadcast to the
general public via Wikileaks about the sordid reality behind US
diplomatic niceties around the world, the attitude of China towards
North Korea, the relationship between Saudi Arabia and Islamicist
extremism, and all the rest, and that all he's concerned about is
slotting this important episode -- the first mass public displaying of
state papers in most of our lifetimes -- into his feeble theoretical
hobby-horses, promoting his banal contrarianism, and defending the
student marking system in his college. His condemnation of the public
displaying of state confidential papers also jars somewhat with
Spiked's noisy campaign for Internet freedom.

Füredi's article can be found at <
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/9953/ >.

Incidentally, on the telly the other evening was Jacqui 'Jackboot'
Smith, one of New Labour's most authoritarian Home Secretaries,
condemning this scandalous releasing of confidential state papers. How
ironic, as she (along with many other British politicians and public
figures) has been a firm advocate of the line that state surveillance
must be acceptable to the public on the basis that if you have done
nothing wrong, there's nothing to be worried about the state observing
you.

Now, surely if our diplomats, military men and politicians are doing
nothing wrong, then they can have no reason to complain if we can do
the same to them and look at what they're doing.

Paul F