With McCoy it is not really necessary to read between the lines, but
his argument is a bit more nuanced.  He says pretty much the same
thing as the original article I posted, except he doesn't put a figure
on it. But in terms of the website you are of course correct. The
webpage is not very credible. I read the article because a FB friend
had posted it. I did not even look at the website. My bad.

BUT, I posted this particular article because I was familiar with
McCoy's work, having read his books. I note you picked a paragraph
from the second article, the one by McCoy, and quoted it out of
context, to make it appear that McCoy is somehow agnostic on CIA
involvement in Afghan heroin trafficking  The paragraph below, taken
from the same article, is much more damning:

"To defeat the Taliban in the aftermath of 9/11, the CIA successfully
mobilized former warlords long active in the heroin trade to seize
towns and cities across eastern Afghanistan.  In other words, the
Agency and its local allies created ideal conditions for reversing the
Taliban's opium ban and reviving the drug traffic. Only weeks after
the collapse of the Taliban, officials were reporting an outburst of
poppy planting in the heroin-heartlands of Helmand and Nangarhar. At a
Tokyo international donors' conference in January 2002, Hamid Karzai,
the new Prime Minister put in place by the Bush administration, issued
a pro forma ban on opium growing -- without any means of enforcing it
against the power of these resurgent local warlords."

And of course it is not far-fetched to assume the CIA is involved in
transport, as McCoy states they were in Vietnam. So if you have read
his book on Vietnam, the CIA, heroin, and Air America, you would of
course find the article itself credible, which I did, and still do.

Greg