Hi,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Jonathan Swartz <swa...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, sadly Dave is one of those that believe in a separate controller layer
>>> in modules. They are all wrong, but they comprise about 90% of the Perl
>>> community so what can you do :p
>>
>> Could you explain your opinion about this "They are all wrong" a bit more ?
>
> Nic Wolff summarized this pretty well, but I'll give my spin.
>
> In Catalyst, URLs are handled by controller classes. A controller gathers
> data from appropriate model(s), then constructs a hash of data and passes it
> to a template to render the page.
>
> In theory the controller method and template are decoupled, so that you could
> create multiple templates for a single controller method (one for browser,
> one for mobile, etc.).
>
> In practice, there is almost always a one-to-one correspondence between
> controller method and template, and the two *are* quite coupled. If you want
> to figure out how a page is rendered, you have to look at both the controller
> and view. If you want to change how the page is rendered in any meaningful
> way, you have to modify both the controller and the view. So I find that with
> Catalyst development I'm constantly having to look in, and edit, two places
> at once. I also have more decisions to make about which code goes where.

+1!

> In Mason, URLs are handled by components. A component gathers data from
> appropriate model(s), then renders the page itself. You only have to look in
> one place and modify things in one place.

+1. This is what I love about Mason. My "controller" and "view" are a
single unit.

In Mason 1 we got a bit of too little separation and it could get
messy really fast if you didn't make sure your logic was stashed away
properly in business classes (aka, your "Model") but I do like
View-driven web frameworks that call into the model to pull the
required information.

When I do Catalyst, my controllers are a glorified routing setup
system to views. I like chained actions to perform preloading (over
async protocols if available) of data I know I will need (some might
call this premature optimization), or for
authentication/authorization, but the rest is all View-driven.

I'm not a fan of the component-as-a-object of Mason2, but maybe its
because it hasn't *clicked* yet. I do like the fact that it is
Plack-oriented.

Bye,
--
Pedro Melo