On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Paul Wallingford wrote:
>
>> 1) Different configurations for the web server side.  How do I make this
>> work with:
>> - Apache / mod_perl (for production)
>> - Apache /Fast CGI (for production)
>> - Standard CGI (for development or servers I cannot change significantly)
>> - other servers such as AOL, etc.
>
> Use Catalyst, Dancer, or some other framework that supports all of these
> (and other) deployment modes.

Plack/PSGI supports all these deployment modes, in fact it's kind of their
raison d'etre. You don't
need Catalyst/Dancer for that. (In fact one of the things that bother me about
Catalyst/Dancer
is that they implement their own support for this instead of just relying on
Plack/PSGI - in Catalyst's
case this is historical, Dancer has less of an excuse other than not wanting
dependencies.)

>> 6) Moose is slow.  So slow, that even the Moose people address it in
>> their FAQ.  What can I do to speed it up?  What if I can only run on a
>> standard CGI server that does not have mod_perl?  Is it possible to use
>> Mouse instead?  Will Mason2 have a conniption?  Are there things I can
>> do with Mason so that it will not utilize some of the slower Moose features?
>
> Moose doesn't have a FAQ, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

search.cpan.org/perldoc?Moose::Manual::FAQ sure looks like one :)

> Here's some other possibilities ...
>
> * Nobody is using Mason 1 _or_ 2. They've all moved on to
> Template::Declare, Quicksilver, and Ruby on Rails. Rails is for cool
> people. Those of us still on the list are totally unhip losers.

I'd rephrase that as follows: Few people are using Mason or Perl for *new* web
development projects; the've all moved on to Rails and Django. At least that's
what I observe from my perch in San Francisco, which admittedly has a higher
than normal share of hip people and startups.

Compare these pages to see what I mean:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/jjj/sfc?query=perl&srchType=T
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/jjj/sfc?query=rails&srchType=T

I know this is only one datapoint, but it's one that's very relevant to my life
and has been moving in the wrong direction for a while.

Nonetheless, I'm still hopelessly devoted to Perl and so seek out the few jobs
that feature it. :)

> * Mason 1 is very stable, and it has good documentation. People are happy
> with it for now, and so aren't jumping to use a new templating system,
> even one named Mason 2.

Yes.

And just so everyone understands where my expectations are at: I didn't
*expect* a whole bunch of people to jump to Mason 2 any time soon (if ever). It
was not that kind of mild upgrade. It's a big leap, something of an experiment,
possibly a little before its time (given that Moose and especially Plack/PSGI
are still maturing), more like a whole new templating system with a similar
syntax than an "upgrade" as its name might suggest. I briefly thought about
changing the name, but I'm too fond of this one.

> * The list was a lot more active in the days when people used Mason as
> their entire web framework, often paired with mod_perl. I can't
> count the number of threads we've had about mod_perl issues.

Yes. Take a look at the mailing list archives during the peak - e.g.
http://marc.info/?l=mason&r=1&b=200010&w=2 - and notice how many questions are
not about Mason per se but rather mod_perl and Perl web development in general.
I too see a lot of those same discussions in the Catalyst list now.

> Nowadays, the action has moved on to other places, like the Catalyst list.
> People still use Mason 1 and/or 2, but it's a much smaller part of their
> development stack. This, BTW, describes me. I use Mason 1 solely for
> templating on new projects. If I switch to Mason 2 that won't change.

Yes, sadly Dave is one of those that believe in a separate controller layer in
modules. They are all wrong, but they comprise about 90% of the Perl community
so what can you do :p

Jon