On Apr 21, 2012, at 3:10 AM, Pedro Melo wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Jonathan Swartz <swa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> I'm pleased to announce Poet, a modern Perl web framework designed
>> especially for Mason developers:
>
> It looks very good and I plan on trying it out next week. I'm curious
> how it deals with bigger projects though.
>
> For example, I have an application that has 3 sites: a frontend
> catalog-style site with multiple skins, a private members-only site,
> and a backoffice site. A lot of components and libs are shared between
> the three sites, and things like logging and configuration are handled
> in a centralized manner, shared by the three sites. There are also
> other things, like async job workers, crons, incoming SMTP handlers
> that don't map well into a Poet layout.

Well, as I said, Poet is used at the Hearst Corporation for a large project
indeed -- serving 20+ external magazine sites
(https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/) as well as internal content management and
subscription management systems. So it is definitely an "enterprise scale"
framework.

Since you mention crons - we keep the source of crontabs, logrotate confs, and
apache confs inside a special conf/ subdirectory that is itself Mason based.
Whenever the server is stopped/started, all these files are regenerated via
Mason. This allows them to be generated differently depending on Poet
configuration for the particular layer, host, etc. I hope to share this
mechanism as well once it can be properly packaged up.

> Still, it looks good and its nice to see a lot of common sense Mason
> stuff codified into a separate module.
>
> Congrats!

Thanks!

Jon