>>> "JC" == John Ciolfi <cio...@mathworks.com> writes:

> Hi

> I'm proposing starting fresh meaning initially no history in github.
> You'd need to jump back to Source Forge for the older changes. They
> would not be lost. We'd freeze Source Forge and add a link to them.
> Part of the reason for doing this is that there is a bunch of old
> stuff in Source Forge and this way we don't need to worry about
> cleaning it up or pulling in stuff we don't want. So, we are good for
> the history - it's just a side step to access Source Forge.

> With this proposal, in github, we'd see

>    matlab.el      "initial commit"
>    etc.

>   And then on the page:

The problem with this approach is that all the branches
that are not merged yet are lost!

That includes

    1. The matlab-cell branch Nidish is working on

    2. The fix-fix branch and which Eric and me try to test and improve
       the filling funcion.

    3. The org-mode branch I create to test and to improve org-matlab
       interaction.

All the commits on these branches would be lost.

>   History matlab-mode has a history dating back many years. Older
>   contributions can be found in
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/matlab-emacs/.

> If you feel like we should import the history, could you help with that?

Sure that is actually very easy to do.

> Maybe the easiest way would be to just copy the history from the main
> branch, then people with other branches could choose to create new
> forks in github with their changes.

I still have reasonable amount of time till the send of August, then I
have to travel and will be much more occupied with other stuff.

I propose the following:

    - I will ask in the list, which of the old branches can be safely
      deleted.
      Here is a list of git branches

  remotes/origin/copyright
  remotes/origin/documentation
  remotes/origin/fill-fix
  remotes/origin/font-lock
  remotes/origin/fontlockhang
  remotes/origin/hairyblocks
  remotes/origin/mac_init
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/matlab-cells
  remotes/origin/modernize
  remotes/origin/org-mode
  remotes/origin/shell-patch
  remotes/origin/shellcomplete
  remotes/origin/strings
  remotes/origin/usage1
  remotes/origin/wisent-parser

I presume that most of them I can delete, but I want to be sure before I
do this.

    - I will rename the principal branch default (I checked this is
      possible in github)

    - I will then rebase stuff and make the graph leaner.

    - I will push that to a github repository I call
      matlab-emacs-experiment or so, so people can clone and look.

    - once this is settled, you give me write access to the MATLAB
      repository, I push everything.
      Write access will have at the moment, you, Eric, Nidish and myself.

Regards

Uwe
--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.