There seems to be a huge misunderstanding here, and I am not sure what
it is, but what you need to do is run examples and experiment with
variations until you have some inkling of what mpl is actually doing.
  Start with   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html.

Please note that the ticks are simply labeled locations--they have no
effect on what data are plotted.

When you do ax.plot(ind*dt, y), absolutely *nothing* is lost; every
value of y in your array is plotted. mpl is plotting (x,y) pairs--all of
them--and labeling the axes accordingly.

To see what is being plotted, you can use plot(x,y,'ro'), for example,
to plot each point as a red circle.  Experiment with this.

Don't worry right now about avoiding the pylab interface; take advantage
of its simplicity to get the most basic plotting concepts straightened
out via quick experimentation.  Use the gui zoom button to see how axis
labeling works.  Make your own simple examples; plot random points, plot
sin waves.

Eric