Hello matplotlib-users,

I've just managed to get numpy, scipy, ipython and matplotlib running
under ActivePython 2.5 on my Intel Mac.

But I'd like matplotlib to use just X11, and not the Aqua-wrapped
thing with the rocket icon (app name "Python"): I want to be able to
ssh -X into my mac, run ipython in an xterm, and see matplotlib
figures in my X-window manager. At the moment, I've tried a few
different matplotlib backends, but for some (WX, WXAgg, Tk)
matplotlib pops up with its nice rocket icon on the physical screen
of my mac, even when I'm sshing in from elsewhere, whereas for others
(Agg, Agg2, Cairo), nothing pops up anywhere. Perhaps changing
backends is not the right approach, and I should be doing something
more fundamental...?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious---it's not a very
searchable problem. Googling and/or searching this list for "macos
x11 matplotlib" reveals that most people seem to want to go the other
way and eliminate their dependency on X11.

Below I've pasted an example of what I've been trying, followed by my
platform and installation info.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.   cheers, --jez

backend = 'Cairo'
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use(backend)
import pylab,numpy
pylab.plot(numpy.arange(0,10))
pylab.show()

Mac OS X 10.4.11 on 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 27 2008, 17:40:23)
        wget 'http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/macosx/2.5/
ActivePython-2.5.2.2-macosx.dmg'
        open ActivePython-2.5.2.2-macosx.dmg
numpy.__version__ = '1.1.0.dev5038'
        svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk numpy
        cd numpy
        python setup.py build
        sudo python setup.py install
matplotlib.__version__ = '0.91.2'
        wget 'http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/matplotlib/
matplotlib-0.91.2.tar.gz'
        tar xfvz matplotlib-0.91.2.tar.gz
        cd matplotlib-0.91.2
        python setup.py build
        sudo python setup.py install
cairo.version = '1.4.12'
        sudo port install cairo # installed cairo 1.4.14
        wget 'http://cairographics.org/releases/pycairo-1.4.12.tar.gz'
        tar xfvz pycairo-1.4.12.tar.gz
        cd pycairo-1.4.12
        ./configure --prefix=`python -c "import sys; print sys.prefix"`
        make
        sudo make install