On 17 Apr 2008, at 4:39 am, Jed Frechette wrote:

> Any reason you're manually installing from source rather than using
> the Fink
> packages? Fink's matplotlib is still at 0.90 but the latest
> versions of all
> the other packages you want are in Fink. Note that you will need to
> enable
> Fink's Unstable tree to get these packages as its Stable tree is quite
> outdated.

Hmm, very good point. Mainly it was due to a general suspicion of
fink and the desire to use it as little as possible. Partly it was
due to the fact that my fink was long overdue for a selfupdate, and
this was masking the fact that recent versions of all these things
were available.

So I selfupdated and installed matplotlib-py25 via fink. Initially I
got bus errors whenever importing pylab, but this turned out to be
due to files hanging over from the previous matplotlib installation.

After cleaning up and re-installing, it all works X11-ly. Many thanks!