You need X11 based versions of Tcl/Tk and Python. I believe these are available
through fink (or used to be), I build them from source. And then you can build
matplotlib linking to these libraries (after tweaking setupext.py). It's
somewhat involved but doable, actually you have to have a really good reason to
do it. If you are still interested I can send you the gory details offline.

Nadia