On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Barry Wark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Work is currently going in the wrong direction for me to be able to
> implement toolbars etc. in a timely manner. Would you be willing to
> add the rc parameter you discussed so that backend could be defined in
> a separate package? This would allow me to continue working on (and
> deploying internally) the Cocoa native backend. As soon as it meets
> the requirements, I will be happy to resubmit it for inclusion with
> the matplotlib distribution (including supporting it going forward).

I just committed some changes to svn to support the syntax
module://some_backend to load the backend from a module in the
pythonpath.  Give it a test drive and see if it works in your use
cases.  The matplotlibrc file, the use directive and the -d argument
to pylab will all respect this syntax, eg

  matplotlib.use('module://backend_cocoa')

or

  > python simple_plot.py -dmodule://my_backend

but backend_cocoa doesn't currently work with pylab...

Outside of of pylab, it doesn't matter much because you could already
import directly from your own modules if you are building apps, but at
least the backend validation machinery won't complain if it sees
something starting with 'module://'

Let me know if you had something different in mind....

JDH