On Monday 14 July 2008 21:22:31 you wrote:

> >> I'm not sure I'm following you at the moment.  Are you calling show()
> >> once and closing the figure doesn't cause it to return?   or are you
> >> trying to call show() multiple times from a single script and subsequent
> >> calls to show() fail to return?
> >
> > Hi, Ryan,
> >
> > Thanks for your continued help.
> >
> > I am calling show() once, and closing the figure doesn't cause it to
> > return? I've verified the lack of return using debug  sys.stderr.write()
> > statements, as well as by following  show()  with a sys.exit() command.
>
> (Getting this back on the full list...)
>
> This sounds like a bug to me, specific to your set up.  I just ran a
> script (for my own sanity) and closing the figure, resulted in the
> script exiting and returning to the command prompt.  Do you happen to
> have a small complete example that replicates your problems that you
> could post here?
>
> Also, what are your versions of matplotlib and PyGtk (you are using
> GtkAgg, right)? Also, what OS are you running?
>
> Devs, what do you think?
>
> Ryan
> --
> Ryan May
> Graduate Research Assistant
> School of Meteorology
> University of Oklahoma

Thanks, Ryan,  The requested info is below.
Thanks again.
    James

- ----- SMALL COMPLETE EXAMPLE CODE FOLLOWS -------------
#!/usr/bin/python
#  File:  test.py

import os,sys
import pylab as PL
import numpy as N

def main():
  fig = PL.figure(1)
  x = N.arange(120.0)*2*N.pi/120.0
  x = PL.resize(x, (100,120))
  y = N.arange(100.0)*2*N.pi/100.0
  y = N.resize(y, (120,100))
  y = N.transpose(y)
  z = N.sin(x) + N.cos(y)
  PL.imshow( z , cmap=PL.cm.jet)#, interpolation='nearest')
  sys.stderr.write("Begun.")
  PL.show()
  sys.stderr.write("Done.")
  sys.exit(0)

if __name__ == "__main__":
- ---- END OF SAMPLE CODE -------------------

Sample output:
- ------- BEGIN --------------
$ ./test.py
Begun.
- ------- COMMENTS: --------------
              The image displays.
               I click on the X; the image disappears.
              Nothing happens in the terminal output.
              In the terminal window I type <ctrl>C.
- ------- BEGIN --------------
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test.py", line 59, in <module>
    main()
  File "./test.py", line 25, in main
    PL.show()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py",
line 71, in show
    gtk.main()
KeyboardInterrupt
$
- ------ END OF OUTPUT CODE ----------

The same behavior occurs when run from within an interactive session.

python version:  2.5.1 (4251:54863, Jun 15 2008, 23:59:20)
Matplotlib version:  0.91.2
PyGTK version:  2.12.0-2.fc8
In ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc:   backend      : GTKAgg
OS:  Fedora 8
Linux kernel:  2.6.25.6-27.fc8