On Tuesday 15 July 2008 07:48:45 John Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM, James K. Gruetzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >> (Getting this back on the full list...)
> >>
> >> This sounds like a bug to me, specific to your set up.  I just ran a
> >> script (for my own sanity) and closing the figure, resulted in the
> >> script exiting and returning to the command prompt.  Do you happen to
> >> have a small complete example that replicates your problems that you
> >> could post here?
> >>
> >> Also, what are your versions of matplotlib and PyGtk (you are using
> >> GtkAgg, right)? Also, what OS are you running?
> >>
> >> Devs, what do you think?
> >>
> >> Ryan
> >> --
> >> Ryan May
> >> Graduate Research Assistant
> >> School of Meteorology
> >> University of Oklahoma
> >
> > Thanks, Ryan,  The requested info is below.
> > Thanks again.
>
> I am not seeing any problems on the 91 branch or the 98 trunk.  Below
> is my command and output (the shell returns when I close the window
> with a click)
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:svn> python ~/test.py --verbose-helpful -dGTKAgg
> $HOME=/home/titan/johnh
> CONFIGDIR=/home/titan/johnh/.matplotlib
> matplotlib data path
> /home/titan/johnh/dev/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data
> loaded rc file /home/titan/johnh/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc
> matplotlib version 0.91.4
> verbose.level helpful
> interactive is False
> units is False
> platform is sunos5
> numerix numpy 1.2.0.dev5410
> Using fontManager instance from
> /home/titan/johnh/.matplotlib/fontManager.cache backend GTKAgg version
> 2.6.0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:svn>

Hi, John,

Here's my equivalent:

$ python ./test.py --verbose-helpful -dGTKAgg
$HOME=/home/jkgruet
CONFIGDIR=/home/jkgruet/.matplotlib
matplotlib data path /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data
loaded rc file /home/jkgruet/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc
matplotlib version 0.91.2
verbose.level helpful
interactive is True
units is False
platform is linux2
numerix numpy 1.1.0
Using fontManager instance from /home/jkgruet/.matplotlib/fontManager.cache
backend GTKAgg version 2.12.0
Begun.

  . . . at which point it hangs, even after the window is closed.

I see that I have a older matplotlib and numpy versions.  Those are the same
versions as in Fedora 9, so upgrading there won't help.

OTOH, my GTKAgg version is 2.12,0, not 2.6.0.   I'm fairly sure that is where
the problem lies, or, more likely, in GTK itself, where I have installed:

gtk+.i386                                1:1.2.10-59.fc8
gtk2.i386                                2.12.8-2.fc8

This is verified by testing several backends:
  GTKAgg:       fails to return when X is clicked
  GTK:          fails to return when X is clicked
  GTKCairo:     fails to return when X is clicked
  WxAgg:        displays and returns immediately (no need to click any X !!! )
  QtAgg:                returns when X is clicked;
  TkAgg:                returns when X is clicked;
  FltkAgg:      "ImportError:  No module named fltk", although fltk is installed
  WX:           "NotImplementedError" from .../matplotlib/image.py in draw:
renderer.draw_Image(...)

So . . . for my purposes, I think I'll just use QtAgg or TkAgg.

I'm not sure how I would file a bug report against GTK, however, or even *if*
I should file one given my utter ignorance of gtk.

I appreciate all the help shown on the list.  Y'all're very kind.

   James