On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Matthias Michler
<matthiasmich...@gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi Gökhan,
>
> Just to make one point clear to me. Do you agree that the following is the
> expected behavior of your suggestion to use
> event.inaxes.grid(which='minormajor') after 'g'?
>
> If only the major tick grid lines are shown and the user presses 'g' the
> major
> tick lines are removed and the minor tick lines are shown, because calling
> Axes.grid with the default b=None toggles the state of plotting grid lines.
> Here this means that the minor tick grid lines are switched from being not
> shown to being shown and the major tick lines change vice versa.
>
> If you agree that this is the expected behavior of your suggestion, do you
> think this is a useful behavior?
>
> Kind regards,
> Matthias

Hi again,

With grid state initially off I could get what I really wanted with "g"
toggling after setting in backend_bases.py
event.inaxes.grid(which='majorminor)

It does exactly what it supposed to do -toggle visible grids. See my figure
for a clearer description:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1464/gridimage.png

The top-left figure has major-minor grids enabled in log-log view. This
creates not a pretty image --neither on screen nor when I save the image as
png or pdf. Top-right is clear since it is spaced linearly. The last figure
I toggled with "g" key. It was originally like the first figure on the
screen. I realize also that grid accept alpha keyword, however I couldn't
get a satisfying result out of that either. For the time being I will go
with full-off grids for my step plots.

With this said, I still think event.inaxes.grid(which='majorminor) should be
checked-in since it is the right behavior for full grid toggling. That's
what toggling is about right? Either all or none --we don't want gray areas.

--
Gökhan