OK, thanks. With your example, I see a difference between the Mac OS X backend
and the TKAgg/GtkAgg backend but only if interactive is False in matplotlibrc.
If interactive is True, both the Mac OS X backend and the TkAgg backend open
windows. Is this really the desired behavior? It seems counterintuitive that
such a global parameter can determine whether a figure is opened or not.

While we're on the topic, is this interactive parameter still needed in
matplotlib? In my understanding, in older versions of matplotlib,
interactive=False could significantly speed up some plots. But are there still
any such cases with the current organization of the drawing code in matplotlib?

Thanks,
--Michiel.