On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldeh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK, thanks. With your example, I see a difference between the Mac OS X
> backend and the TKAgg/GtkAgg backend but only if interactive is False in
> matplotlibrc. If interactive is True, both the Mac OS X backend and the TkAgg
> backend open windows. Is this really the desired behavior? It seems
> counterintuitive that such a global parameter can determine whether a figure
> is opened or not.
>
> While we're on the topic, is this interactive parameter still needed in
> matplotlib? In my understanding, in older versions of matplotlib,
> interactive=False could significantly speed up some plots. But are there
> still any such cases with the current organization of the drawing code in
> matplotlib?

Yes, this is the desired behavior.  The interactive : True parameter
is useful when working interactively from the shell, when want to do

  plt.figure()
  plt.plot([1,2,3])
  plt.xlabel('a label')

and have the figure show up on the figure call and update on the plot
and xlabel call.  This is most definitely not what you want to do in a
script, because you don't want to pay for the draw until the end (when
a call to show is made).  This is discussed at

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/shell.html

JDH