On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldeh...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Regarding your first question, how exactly does it disrupt your workflow?
> Is it because the drawing takes too much time? Or because the focus switches
> from the terminal window to the figure window? Or because the figure takes
> up screen space?

It is partly because the focus switches from the terminal window to the
figure window (at least, at fiirst it does), but mostly because there isn't
enough screen real estate for both to co-exist.  Therefore, I would be
alt-tabbing a lot if I am in interactive mode.

Anyway, I mostly work from the perspective of running scripts and larger
programs to generate publication quality figures and to perform data
analyses.  My focus is not on messing around with my figures.  The only time
I am doing that is when I am developing and testing a new script or feature,
in which case I might go into interactive mode to figure out what settings
and such make my figures look nice, or maybe not.

It is nice to have the option to suit my needs.  More often than not, I am
in non-interactive mode.  I see no reason to remove this feature as it puts
matplotlib ahead of other systems like Matlab.  Choice is a good thing...

Ben Root