--- On Sat, 11/13/10, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ie if we have a script like
>
>   # some plotting commands
>
>   # some expensive non GUI computation
>
>   # some update to plot above
>
> Would we not run the risk that the GUI is idle in the non
> GUI computation and therefore trigger a draw in it's thread,
> and then do redraws again after the update code?

In the MacOSX backend, everything is single-threaded, so this won't occur.

I am not sufficiently familiar with the non-MacOSX backends to give a detailed
answer, but with multiple threads the "idle" refers to the Python thread being
idle rather than the GUI thread being idle. In other words, when there are no
more Python commands left to be handled, the GUI thread is notified that it
should start redrawing.

> Are you proposing that we can get rid of the interactive setting
> entirely, always call draw on pyplot commands, and let the
> idle handler save us from doing repeated draws?

Yes (I assume you mean to always call draw_idle on pyplot commands). If there
are then still cases where we do get repeated draws, then that is a bug.

Best,
--Michiel.