Thanks for your help, Michiel.  Two follow up points, one concerning the OSX
backend and one concerning the QT4 backend:
1) A colleague can reproduce the OSX problem we have talked about, but has
never run into it before.  We have identical installs of
python/matplotlib/etc through MacPorts, however his OSX plots pop up
automatically without turning interactive plotting on (pyplot.ion()).  I did
not have this behavior; show() was required to bring up a plot up until
ion() was called.  A fresh install (see item 2) has "fixed" this behavior on
my machine so that our two installs now behave identically.
2) With an understanding of the importance of a +framework install when
using Python/MPL, I wiped my QT4 and pyqt4 installs (again, through
MacPorts) and reinstalled.  I also reinstalled MPL.  Because I have been
using all of them for some time, I had many old versions installed but not
activated in MacPorts.  I removed every old version for all of the programs
listed above and started from scratch.  I used the +framework variant (also,
+quartz).  Everything seems to work smoothly now.  I'm not sure why; was it
the fresh install?  was it the +framework variant?  This fresh install also
seemed to change the MacOSX backend behavior, however I have done nothing
different with how I installed MPL.

Hopefully, this info is useful to someone down the line.  Thanks again to
Michiel for his clarifications and help with the OSX backend; it is one of
the better backends if you are on a Mac!

-dw