There's a lot of moving parts here.  Running your script again is
showing some leaks in valgrind that weren't there before, but a number
of the underlying libraries have changed on my system since then (memory
leaks tend to be Whac-a-mole sometimes...)

Which versions of the following are you running, and on what platform --
some variant of MS-Windows if I recall correctly?

Python
Numpy
wxPython
Tkinter

Mike

On 04/19/2011 10:25 AM, Caleb Constantine wrote:
> This picks up from a thread of the same name between 18 Nov 2010 and
> 22 Nov 2010.
>
> Release 1.0.1 of matplotlib has made significant gains in reducing the
> memory leak (thanks!!), but it did not
> eliminate the problem entirely. Recall, the TkAgg back-end does not
> have any leak, so we know this particular
> leak is in matplotlib or wxPython.
>
> Here are the results of some tests.
>
> Matplotlib 1.0.0
>
> - 1 hour
> - Plotted 3595 times, about 1Hz
> - Memory usage increased by about 18.7MB (59.96 - 41.25), or about
> 5.3K per redraw.
>
> Matplotlib 1.0.1
>
> - 1 hour
> - Plotted 3601 times, about 1Hz
> - Memory usage increased by about 1.4MB (42.98 - 41.59), or about
> 0.40K per redraw.
>
> - 12 hour
> - Plotted 43201 times, about 1Hz
> - Memory usage increased by about 13.3MB (54.32 - 41.01), or about
> 0.32K per redraw.
>
> As stated before, for a process plotting data for long periods of
> time, this becomes an issue.
>
> Caleb

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch