On 26 January 2012 19:36, Howard <how...@renci.org> wrote:

> I'm rendering some images with about 3.5 million triangles into a 512x512
> png file using tricontourf. I'm running this in a virtual machine, and I'm
> pretty sure that there is no graphics rendering hardware being used. Is it
> possible, assuming the hardware was available, to make tricontourf use the
> rendering hardware?  Will that happen by default?

You are correct, there is no graphics hardware rendering.  Rendering is
controlled by the various matplotlib backends, and to my knowledge there
are  no backends currently available that use hardware rendering.

There has been some work done on an OpenGL backend, but I am not sure of
the status of this.  The last time I checked it was pretty experimental.
Perhaps someone involved with it can comment on its current status.

Ian Thomas