Interesting, I didn't know that enforcing Q-limits also affects generators
when their bus-type is set to PQ.  Ray, I suggest documenting this behavior
in the manual, probably at the end of the last paragraph in Section 4.1.
Something to the effect of *"... Note also that this option affects
generators even if the bus they are attached to is already of type PQ."*

Going back to Chris's problem, I suggest you approach this as consisting of
two orthogonal issues:

   - Solving with Q-limits enforced vs. solving without
   - Solving with a given generator running as PQ-type vs. running as
   PV-type (by manually switching it)

With regards to the first issue, I suggest to start by analyzing the
behavior of your case *without* enforcing Q limits: in particular, pay
close attention to the QG injections obtained *in the solution* for those
gens operating as PV-type (and also the specified QG for those operating as
PQ), and *compare* those to your specified [QMIN, QMAX] values.  If you
observe any large violation, then solving this case with Q limits enforced
will yield a *very* different solution.

Concerning the second issue, the main thing to check when manually
switching a given bus from PQ-type to PV-type, is that the gen setpoint VG
has to be set to the bus voltage VM obtained in the previous solution,
otherwise your next solution could be again very different.  Conversely,
when manually switching a bus from PV-type to PQ-type [*], you have to
specify a gen injection QG equal to the value obtained in the previous
solution.

[*] As I mentioned before, the switch in this direction is not always
guaranteed to give you the same solution.  If the setpoint VG is decreased
too much, or if the real power PG is increased too much, you can end up
with a case that is solvable with the bus running as PV, but unfeasible
when the bus is running as PQ (under the switching procedure described
here).  Technically: this happens when you're running the PV generator at
the unstable branch of its Q-V curve.

--
Jose L. Marin
Grupo AIA