--QUOTE--
These kids coming right out of school might have the right skill
set but they aren't going to be happy if they are paid less than their
buddies who go into the commercial world. They come in wanting to get a
foot in the door but soon realize that museums expect 24/7 service for
not a lot of pay.
--END QUOTE--

As one of "these kids coming right out of school," (BS in Computer
Science May 2005) I disagree with your statement.  I do in fact make
slightly less than most of my friends in my class who graduated from the
same university, but I took a position in a non-profit science center
because of:

Flexible Hours
More Vacation
Less Stress
No Travel
Enjoyable Co-Workers
Community Impact
Excellent Health Benefits

It's harder to get those things in the corporate world, at least right
out of college.  I've found that I'm happier than most of my friends.

Ari -- consider negotiating items other than salary to attract the best
young professionals.

-
Matthew Stevens, Technology Officer
Adventure Science Center