J. Paul Getty Museum
tel: 310-440-7346
fax: 310-440-7751
nhoneysett at getty.edu

>>> "Ari Davidow" <aridavidow at gmail.com> 2/2/2007 7:33 AM >>>
We're having a bit of an argument here about appropriate salaries for
programming staff. We are considering hiring our first developer. The
internal argument goes something like, "this person is just out of school
and we can't pay him as much as someone with a Masters" - ie, we can't pay
as much as we pay our starting humanities graduates. The reality is that we
could then be offering someone in the very low $30k range, which is, by my
quick glance at Boston salaries, about 10k  (or more) lower than such people
get outside of our field.

For those people who have hired staff developers, what do you pay for what
skills at what level? -- I imagine paying less for PHP developers than Java
developers, for instance. Where are there some salary tables that I can look
at to get a sense of what an expensive city (Boston) pays for these skills
in the non-profit world (recognizing that most non-profits do not hire staff
developers).

ari

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu