Nik, Len, and all,

Great point re: effects of different tools' filtering efficacy on the
traffic they report. Last year our main analysis tool changed over from
a leading web analytics product* to AWStats. For one illustrative month
of overlap, reports derived from the same raw Apache log files suddenly
showed 23% fewer unique visitors, 45% fewer visits (!), 28% fewer page
views, and 16% fewer hits--that most useless, if biggest, of metrics.

So, by concrete anecdote: different tools can produce apples and oranges
(and uneasy feelings about past metrics formerly cited in public...).

Rob

*one which rhymes, kind of, with "deep end" or "head spins"

Nik Honeysett wrote:
> We attempted to do this at one point, but found it to be a real challenge.
> Aside from issues like every metrics software having a different notion of
> what constitutes a visit, we found that some institutions either didn't or
> didn't want to filter out unwanted traffic such as bots and spiders, which
> are significant numbers. In the pursuit of accuracy, we went through one
> significant upgrade of our metrics software NetGenesis (web log processing)
> and recently switched to Omniture (page tagging). Both changes resulted in
> decreases in our traffic due to improvements in filtering. We previously
> concluded that the only way to accurately benchmark with others, was for all
> to use a centralized system like this and match all parameters. So, good luck
> with that...
>
> -nik
>
> Nik Honeysett
> Head of Administration
> J. Paul Getty Museum
> tel: 310-440-7346
> fax: 310-440-7751
> nhoneysett at getty.edu

> I was wondering whether anyone uses any particular web traffic statistics to
> compare the performance of their website to the websites of other museums.
> In effect is anyone benchmarking their website against others, or know of
> any studies or papers which address this issue?
>
> Thanks

Rob Lancefield (rlancefield [at] wesleyan.edu)
Manager of Museum Information Services / Registrar of Collections
Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University
301 High Street, Middletown CT 06459-0487 USA
860.685.2965
Vice President / President-Elect, Museum Computer Network (MCN)