Well, Nik and Rob just beat me to it, but this might be worth adding. I
think you don't have to worry too much about accuracy, as long as you
understand that accuracy is tough to define and harder to achieve. But, if
you want to be most honest and fair, you can:

1) only compare like against like--"this section of our site, using this
version of this analysis software, did 10% better after we redesigned its
index page" (ie follow trends, like Nik said)

b) be aware, to the extent possible, of when your analysis software changes.
For an interesting write-up, see

http://www.imediaconnection.com/printpage/printpage.aspx?id=16342

(we don't report "time on site" outside the website department--I don't want
our stats going out with complicated disclaimers).

c) use page views as your primary measure, since it's the most reliable of
the primary measures (as long as you're careful to count them the same way).
Don't use Time on Site, and don't use visits. On the other hand, lots of
page views is not always a positive thing (think search, or your donation
section--really you want them to find what they want and take care of it).

For what it's worth, we use visits, even though I don't really trust the
numbers, because it's just so effective at communicating how popular the
site is. I'm happy to explain what it means, if people ask ...

--Matt