If any of you are involved in complex cataloguing questions, especially for
contemporary art, and enjoy puzzling over them for inordinate amounts of time,
here is a conundrum for you. How would you approach a situation like this?

The artist created a work specifically for a temporary exhibition. The original
work was projected video imagery on the fa?ades of the museum building. We
created a full catalogue record in our collections system for this work.
Subsequently the artist created a derivative version of the piece to be offered
for sale through the artist's gallery, in an edition of 4. The museum is
acquiring edition 1/4 this work. It consists of the same imagery as the
original, but it has been re-edited, has acquired a sound track, and is
designed primarily as an indoors single-channel video projection. However, in
our museum's case, the artist is permitting the work to be shown again as an
outside projection on the museum fa?ades exactly as the original work was, as
well as indoors as a single-channel projection.

It may also be significant that the original work was created under severe time
constraints and the artist viewed it more or less as a work in progress. But it
had to be shown in the exhibition in an "unfinished" state because the artist
simply ran out of time.

Essentially our options are 1) create a separate catalogue record for the new
derivative work, or 2) treat both the original projection and the derivative
piece as two "manifestations" of a single "work" (loosely following FRBR
concepts).

I suppose a broader question is, do any of you follow FRBR concepts when
cataloguing works of this nature?

If this is too esoteric for the list, feel free to respond off-list.

Thanks,

Will Real
Carnegie Museum of Art