We have never had problems with having a mixed environment of macs and pcs
and connecting them to a Windows server.  I also run VMWare [Windows
emulation software] on the mac, and it runs windows faster than on a windows
machine.  We use the Macs primarily for design work, as most of the printing
houses are mac-based.  Databases area shared across both platforms.

With images, the TIF format has a PC and Mac setting. When we have been
scanning them for our collection database, we primarily have been using the
PC setting, and haven't had a problem opening them on Mac.  But I haven't
seen any problems with either.  Lately, we have been scanning images for our
online collection both on the mac and pc.