The Columbus Museum of Art has had a lot of experience with this lately.

One thing we found early on was we had a very high-powered PC running
Windows Vista and it would not play the quicktime file properly. This
was because we found out that Vista puts DRM between Quicktime and the
hard disk that would cause disk access to the data and it would cause it
to studder and crash.

Then we tried Apple TV, however the last iteration of Apple TV (before
version 2.0) it didn't have looping video so it would play once and be
done. I believe the new Apple TV will loop video so that can be an
option.

We finally ended up with Mac Mini's. We bought 5 of them for an
exhibition we're doing now. Our video designer created Full HD video and
exported the VIDEO_TS folder (or whatever that is, I can get more
details if you need them) to the hard drive. Then we copied that folder
to the Mac Mini and used Apple's Automater scripting tool to create a
automater action that loaded at startup that would load up the DVD
player and play the video.

The machine automatically shuts down at night and loads up in the
morning and people don't have to think about it.

Thomas Deliduka
Director of Information Technology
Columbus Museum of Art
480 East Broad Street