Hi Dana et. al.

I used the DV-66 in a small installation at the Monash University
Computer History Museum. It continuously plays a short video "attract
loop" with playback of the main programme triggered by a touch sensor
I designed to sit in a graphic panel adhered to the inside of the
display case. This saves drilling through the glass for a switch or
using some sort of sensor to detect visitors.

The model I used only played MPEG-1 but I note that the DV-66B also
plays MPEG-2 - is that the model you have Dana ? I would be interested
in your experiences with the DV-66 as I had some issues with the
system as a whole although I could not isolate them to the player.
MPEG-1 compression at that time was more of black art than it is today
with more mature software such as Final Cut Pro.

I have also used the much more expensive but very robust players from
Alcorn McBride. 7 players have been running for 7 years at the Royal
Australian Air Force Museum at RAAF Base WIlliams in Victoria without
incident.

A DVD player is arguably the most cost effective option for many
smaller installations without a high turnover of content, but like a
number of people on this list I have steered clients towards hard
drive or "solid state" playback devices on the grounds of reliability,
ease of interfacing with external buttons and controllers and the
ability to begin playback from a cold start (ie at power up).

However with domestic DVD player reliability improving and costs
falling to around $30 they are an increasingly compelling option. To
solve the startup problem I recently designed an exhibition controller
for the Nick Cave exhibition developed by the Victorian Arts Centre.
This small module can learn the power on and play commands from the
DVD player remote control and emit them when the gallery or temporary
exhibition main power is turned on.

The discussion of computer video playback in this thread has been very
interesting - please keep sharing your approaches.

I developed a workshop on Digital Video in Museums for MCN 2003 - if
anyone on the list would like a PDF copy of the slides please email me
off list.

Michael Borthwick
Director
Michael Borthwick Consulting Pty. Ltd