Gary Sargent wrote,
> | I suspect there is a +12.5% limit because either the data
> | can either not be read of the MD quick enough, ...

David W. Tamkin replied:
> No, that can't be it.  Reading can be sped up by 300%.  Consider units
like
> the MDS-B5 or the MDS-W1 that make ATRAC-domain transfers at roughly four
> times regular playback speed (eight times for mono data).

Gary Sargent continued:
> | ... or can not be decompressed quick enough.

David W. Tamkin then replied:
> Now there you may be onto something; that's certainly a possibility.
--------
Err, David-- I assume that's a joke or you're taking the p***, and not a
serious comment.  We both own MZ-R3 portables 3+ years old.  Do you
really think an ATRAC chip running at 4x the speed of the one in our
R3's would be difficult to make.  Okay they may now use ATRAC 4.5 or
R-Type [OT: great game] or whatever and those algorithms may require
more processing power, but to say they couldn't make even a cheap-chip
to do it 4x faster than normal is just plain ridiculous.  Especially as it's
for a home unit so size and heat-dissipation is easily coped with.

========
David W. Tamkin mentioned in an earlier post:
> [Aside: the method for entering test mode on the MZ-R55 per the service
> manual also works on the R3.  I just hope my R3 still works.]
--------
Assuming you're still speaking to me after my earlier paragraph, is the
method for entering the test-mode you refer to the 24Kohm resistance
applied between two of the earphone control pins (can't remember
which two off-hand) or some button combo.  I'd be happier with doing
the button-combo rather than sticking a resistor into the socket :-)

Is a copy of the MZ-R3 service manual available on the net anywhere?
I've seen other units on the MDCP but haven't found the MZ-R3 info.
I would of course note down *every* setting and not change anything
unless it seemed "interesting".  Ummmmm.  Weird ideas of upping
the playback laser-power toward the record-level enter my warped
mind to see what would happen to the data without the magnetic head
delibrately changing the polarity.  Don't worry, I wouldn't try such a
stupid idea-- I'm not mad.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -> The only sane person on md-l