***
I assume this (whole string) is in reference to copies made digitally, with
a set (read: automatic) recording level?

Also, like a "intro" scan, perhaps a "peak scan" could be implemented that
would find the highest points in each track.  "Automatic sound output"
could be a setting one could adjust to be on or off, and when it is on,
output would be decreased for tracks that would otherwise clip, and boosted
for softer recordings, to a user-set output level (or just to make it
easier, maximum output w/o clipping).

Then again, you could avoid all the hassle and do a peak search yourself
for the song you're going to record, set it just under the clipping point,
then hit record. :-)

Myself being a perfectionist, especially with my recordings, almost always
does this.  (yeh i know its bad grammar :-P )

-steve

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]