> I could not believe my eyes Sunday morning when looking in the paper and
> saw (I think) Circuit City selling the Rio for $99 (!!)
>
> Are they trying to copy Gillette in marketing this, where Diamond takes a
> loss on the equipment --but makes up for it selling flash cards (or
> something equivalent) for it?  This *really* is not good for MD if Diamond
> is going to try and use what basically is predatory pricing against Sony.

IMO no - the Rio is quite an old device now (certainly in PC terms), and
there are new models out very soon with 64mb of memory and of course
Creative's Nomad players.

To be honest, I don't know any Rio owners who *have* bought more memory for
them - they just use them to keep 30 mins or so of music with them for bus
journeys to work and stuff. A couple of them looked at buying more memory,
nearly fainted when they saw the prices, then went out and bought MD
recorders :)

Even so, as the Smartmedia (or whatever it uses) market is open, users can
buy their memory from wherever.

Simon -> on to "G" with MP3ing his CDs for uni - only 150 left to go..