Hi again.

I think that several people have given the steps needed for MD to over take
cassettes.

First there has to be the "complete" catalog of CDs available on pre recorded MD
at a price equal to or less then CDs.

Next, the price of MD hardware has to continue to drop.  Much more then the
present rate.  You have to be able to get a single MD / FM car receiver at prices
equal to a CD unit and possibly even as low as a tape unit.

Listening to tapes in the car is a large part of the the tape market.

I think recorders have to sell for $100 or less and players $50 or less.  And I
think that if the electronic manufactures wanted to, they could do this as long
as the volume was there.  There is no way that you can tell me that (removing the
quantity factor) you can manufacture a VCR for less then an MD recorder.

Not mentioned but I think also necessary is a large drop in the price of blanks.
We seem to be stuck at the $2.50, or so, low point.  You can buy a decent VHS
blank for under $2.00.

Finally, judging from my youngest daughter, prerecorded MDs are going to have to
have all of the "packaging" and art work that comes with a CD.  I keep telling my
daughter not to buy so many CDs.  Split them with her friends and I'll "burn"
copies for her.

But to them the original art work and what ever "literature" comes with the CD
seems to be necessary.

But in spite of any statements that I make on the list.  What it comes down to
for me is that MD is the all around best recording media.  If I didn't feel that
way I wouldn't be here.  Even if I do occasionally pay devils advocate.

Bye,
LAS