The IEEE "Spectrum" had an issue on this subject about three years ago.
In short, even machines that are Part 15 compliant (as all production
devices have to be) are allowed, and do some, intentional emitting.
However, unlike the old days when the worry was about interfering with
navigational aids, the current fear is about interference with the control
systems on "Fly By Wire" aircraft like any AirBus other than the 300, 767s
or later generation 737s.  Shielding the avionics is just far to expensive
to undertake.  However, no one really knows how vulnerable the FBW planes
are to intentional emissions, and the problem is more the raising of the
"noise floor" than a single signal disrupting some critical system or
leading the plane to land in Havana instead of Miami.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:08:04, Sendmail channeled Alexander Dietrich saying:
> Do you know what it is that makes "laser devices" supposedly
> dangerous ? I believe some airlines forbid the use of laptops
> with CD-ROMs on board. Do they emit a lot of electric noise
> or something ?
> I know I'd rather not listen to MDs for a couple of hours
> than putting everybody's live at risk (and mine).

| Kenton A. Hoover                                  | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|  Private Citizen                                  |                        |
| San Francisco, California                         |                        |
|         I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a          |
|          snake...which I also keep handy.    -- W. C. Fields               |