Yes, a Hi-Fi VCR will record excellent audio, but you have to make sure that
it's recording a valid video signal at the same time. Any time you lose
video sync, you will also get audio glitches. With a 180-minute VHS cassette
you can record your 9 hour show on a single tape in SLP/EP mode. At that
speed, the tape bandwidth is poor for video quality, but still more than
enough for full-range (20hz-20khz) audio. The problem with going this route
is that if you *need* this programming on MD, it will still take you 9 hours
to copy it back to MD sometime or another...

I don't know of any VCR that lets you playback at high speed with audio.
I've used that trick before when doing mass dup's of some tapes. I have a
JVC dual-well cassette deck with high-speed dub. I put the original tape and
a blank in, and I also set my JBS920 to record. This allows me to get 149
minutes worth of cassette-quality audio onto a single MD, at double speed. I
then put two more blank cassettes into the tape deck, and play back the MD
at half speed... (I don't do this a lot, since I've pretty much abandoned
cassette technology...) I also have some books-on-tape that I've duped to MD
this way, usually in mono too for even more recording time.