Welcome to the MD world Nick.

Your question about 'end search' is just about to start world war three on
MD-L.
Lots of comments are about to be posted - I'll start the ball rolling - end
search is a totally redundant function that Sony (still) use on their
portable recorders to find the end of the recorded section of a disc, from
which point you can start your new recording.

The Sharps and other portables and even the Sony home decks don't require
this function, they 'end search' automatically when the record button is
pressed, although they can 'over-write' if you wish, something the Sony
portables do automatically if you forget to press 'end search' first.....

If you can't figure out the logic in the above, don't worry you are not
alone as you are about to find out.....:-)

GB