Thanks for the explanation. From that I'd have to say I'd probably be in the
Anti-Sony camp. Seems like an unneccesary feature to me.

Having said that, I'm erring towards the Sony MZ-R90 as my first MD buy,
although I don't yet have any confirmed British prices on it or the Sharp
831. Anyone give me any info on that, or reasons for and against the two
machines?

Cheers,

Nick.