"Wall, Nicholas " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Also, what the hell is 'End Search'?

Uh-oh...

You don't know what you've done, Nicholas ;-)

Seriously, though, whenever this topic comes up there is a huge debate
over it. I'll withhold my opinion and try to explain it fairly.

End search is an old feature that today only exists on Sony portable MD
recorders. No other brands, nor the Sony home MD recorders, still have it.

On all other MD recorders, when you press "record" the default behavior
is for the recording to start from the end of the material that is
already on the MD. Basically, they start a new track. If you want, you
can manually tell the unit to start to record elsewhere, either between
two tracks, at the beginning of the disk or smack in the middle of a
pre-existing track. But by default, they start recording at the end.

Sony portable recorders, on the other hand, start recording wherever you
last left off playing or recording. So if you are recording some songs
from a CD, and go back and listen to them or change the order, etc., the
next time you press record during that session the Sony portable
recorders will start to record from the last place you were at, whether
that's at the beginning of the disk, the end, between tracks, or right in
the middle of another song you just recorded, and it will overwrite
whatever is there. To avoid this, you press the "end search" button,
which basically tells the Sony portable to go to the *end* of all
recorded material. Then you start recording from that point.

I think the above was a pretty neutral, objective way of explaining it.
Some people like it, some hate it. Read the above and decide for yourself
whether it makes sense to you.