"Wall, Nicholas" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to this MD game, and thinking of getting my first md, the sony
> mz-r90, either that or the Sharp MT-831. Does anyone have any thoughts on
> which they think is better, and why?

The R90 has better reproduction of the original sound (what comes out is
closest to what went in). The Sharp is much louder and has better features
than the Sony. Sony units make slightly (very slightly) better recordings,
but the Sharp unit can change record levels whilst recording (Sony has to
press pause first). The 831 is the first unit made by Sharp I have been
really impressed with - feels much nicer than the other units and sounds
great, but I still don't find it as easy to use as the Sony and prefer the
Sony bass response which is smoother sounding. I would say the Sharp is
better for heavy "thud thud" music such as Dance music and Rock because it
has a lot of volume. The Sony is better at handling music such as Jazz and
classical because it reproduces the smooth deep sounds of instruments such as
bellos and bowed basses much better (the Sharp adds a kick to the start of
the sound which isn't there).

Having said all this the differences are really minimal in the sound - you
have to be a right fussy b***** to notice it. I don't think you'll be
dissapointed with either. IF you plan on live recording though you'd be mad
not to go for the Sharp because not being able to adjust record levels
without pausing first will drive you mad unless you can judge where to put
the levels before you start. THe Aiwa F70 is the absolute best for live
recording because it has a light on the main unit so you can see the record
levels (Sony and Sharp make you take a penlight) but the size of the F70
makes it look and feel a bit dated now.

> Also, what the hell is 'End Search'?

A real pain in the backside if you forget to push it before you record. On
Sony units, flicking record starts recording from the point you are on the
disc. If you are in the middle of track 4, it will start recording over the
rest of track 4 and tracks 5,6,7 etc. End search takes it to the end of the
recording so that flicking record will add to whatever is there. I think Sony
are mad putting this button on the unit at all, it's pointless!

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."