Ralph wrote,

| AFAIK, all *recorders* have optical in.

I'm not so sure.  All recorders have digital in: some optical, some both
optical and coaxial, but are there none that have coaxial digital in yet
not optical?

| A player has no kind of in. Since it's just a player.... (What use is a in
| if you can't record?)

I'm sure that by "player/recorder" DW51 meant "a device that plays and
records" rather than "player or recorder."

| Solution number 1:
| - MD deck optical out -> SCMS stripper -> MD deck/portable optical in
|
| Solution number 2:
| - MD deck coax out -> SCMS stripper -> MD deck coax in

If the source recording is not SCMS-final, you don't need a stripper, so

Solution 5.  MD deck optical out -> MD deck/portable optical in
Solution 6.  MD deck coax out -> MD deck coax in

If you do use a stripper, some also convert between optical and coax, so you
don't need the same type of S/PDIF on the destination unit as on the source
unit.

Also, SCMS permitting,

Solution 7: a dual deck.  (I love mine.  It also is a way to do five hours
of timer recording as John Graham was discussing.)