[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, you(collectively)have told me that portable MD player-only units don't
> usually(if ever)have optical out jacks.  Do any portable player/recorders
> have optical in jacks?

AFAIK, all *recorders* have optical in. A player has no kind of in. Since it's
just
a player.... (What use is a in if you can't record?)

> What all are you using to record from MD to MD?  I know you have to go
> through a processor to do so, if it is a digital recording, but you still
> have to at least have a playback unit going(eventually)into a unit that is
> capable of recording.  What has worked best for you?  What if cost is a
> factor?

There are severaly possibilities. One of them only requiring an MD deck.... All
others requiring a playback device with digital out and a recording device with
digital in. There is one thing that all the sollutions have in common: Getting
rid of the SCMS code that disables the copying!

Sollution number 1:
- MD deck optical out -> SCMS stripper -> MD deck/portable optical in

Sollution number 2:
- MD deck coax out -> SCMS stripper -> MD deck coax in

Sollution number 3:
- MD deck coax out -> coax digital soundcard in (save as .wav)
  saved .wav via coax digital soundcard out -> MD deck coax in

Sollution number 4:
- MD deck optical out -> coax optical soundcard in (save as .wav)
  saved .wav via optical digital soundcard out -> MD deck optical in

Sollution numer 1 and 2 have the benefit that you don't need a PC or Mac. But
you need however a SCMS stripper. A little device that can be rather expensive
and difficult to get.

Sollution number 3 and 4 need a PC with a soundcard that has digital in and out.
If you have a deck with coax in/out, you can 'easily' use a SoundBlaster Live!
VE. If you have a deck with optical in/out you need a soundcard with optical
in/out. Ie, the SoundBlaster Live with Hoontech I/O.

Note that there are a lot of different and somemtimes better (than SB live!)
digital soundcards out there.

Cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE