Chris asked,

| I have just got a Sharp MD-MT161 portsble MD player/recorder. What is the
| namestamp for. What does it do??

The manual should explain it.

Name Stamp on Sharp portables is a function that copies all track titles
(and I think the disc name if the target disc has no name) from one disc
to another, provided that they have the same number of tracks.  It does
not copy segment pointers or SCMS bits or any other TOC data as a full
TOC cloning does, but sometimes the titles are all you want to transfer
and nothing else.

For reasons I don't understand, it won't copy titles from a premastered disc.