I'd written in an earlier post,

> I'm very sure that the MDS-W1's MD SYNC function will copy titles from a
> premastered disc ... one way to find out, I guess.

Yesterday I finally got around to testing it.

The function will dub audio but not copy titles from a premastered disc.  It
will dub audio and copy titles from a recordable disc, regardless of the po-
sition of the source disc's write-protect.

The W1's Name Copy facility requires getting into the Edit Menu for the
source disc, so it cannot be used to copy a title from a premastered disc nor
a protected disc.  Thus the only way on a W1 to copy titles from a premas-
tered disc is to read them and rekey them.