> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:24:28 +0100
> From: Alexander Dietrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: MD: OT, anyone know how to title tracks on a CDR?
>
> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>
> > Nope.  CD-Audio does not include space for titles, just audio data.
>
> Well actually there's the CD-Text format which adds song titles, lyrics
> and even more to audio CDs, but you'd have to own a pretty new CD writer
> and compatible software to be able to use it. Then you'd have to own
> a CD-Text compatible CD-ROM drive/CD player to be able to read this
> information. (The newer Plextor drives are CD-Text capable AFAIK)

Yes, I have a Plextor 8220 which reads & writes CD-Text. On Linux I use
cdrdao to write CD-Text discs. On Windows I use Feurio - it's shareware, and
I paid to register my copy. The version of Adaptec software that came with
my Plextor doesn't support CD-Text. I've also tried Nero but I think Feurio
works better. To whoever said that regular CD players barf on CD-Text
discs - Wrong. CD-Text discs work fine in all CD players, but you only see
the text on a Text-Capable drive/player. The text is encoded in a portion of
the disc's Table of Contents that was previously unused. Feurio is cool
because it automatically loads a CD's info from the CDDB database, so you
don't have to do much typing when you're copying CDs to CDR. This is great
for me, I have about 500 CDs that I'm slowly copying to CDR so that I can
have title info when playing discs in my car.

My Sony DVD player (DVP-C600D) displays disc titles from CD-Text, but
doesn't display track titles. My JVC CHX1200 12 disc changer in my car
displays disc and track titles on my KDMX3000 head unit. (And there's the MD
connection - the KDMX3000 is still the world's only single-DIN sized MD/CD
head unit. Great deck. Unfortunately, the head unit itself doesn't display
CD-Text for CDs played in its single slot. Stupid, considering that it
displays disc & track titles for MDs played in the same slot.)
  -- Howard