==========BEGIN QUOTE=============
  My impression was that they had gone the way of the
Fisher brand name --a brand that used to make high quality stuff, but
through the years either made shoddy equipment, had bad luck with a line of
products, or some other event that basically tarnished the brand's image.
What is the story on Casio?
========END QUOTE=============

This reminds me of the TEAC and CDC brands in Australia. Before the late
80s, they made good-quality serviceable hi-fi gear with
sound-quality-enhancing features but since then they made crappy downmarket
electronics. Our market started to get flooded with "flashing-lights"
bookshelf systems; rat-s**t ghetto-blasters and cheap CD players that were
prone to many problems.

A similar fate happened to Philips for a while in our market between 1990
and 1993 where Philips killed the Pye label (reserved for low-end equipment)
abd sold cheap and nasty audio equipment for that period. The DCC equipment
and the 900 series of "co-ordinated" components  being released in 1993 was
an attempt by Philips to climb out of the cheap sound system image. Other
brands that I have known that have been killed off by the supply of cheap
and nasty equipment include Kriesler; HMV and AWA.

With regards,

Simon Mackay